Fall is open enrollment time for both Medicare beneficiaries and enrollees in the Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Marketplaces for coverage in 2018.
Justice in Aging’s open enrollment fact sheet reveals who is impacted by fall open enrollment, covers critical dates for each group, and provides key information on actions to take to ensure continuous coverage.
- Part C and Part D enrollees should review their coverage options each year as Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug plans can change their cost-sharing, provider networks and drug formularies.
- Medicare’s open enrollment period is from October 15-December 7, 2017.
- The Marketplace enrollment period has been cut in half from 12 weeks to 6 weeks.
- The Marketplace enrollment period is from November 1-December 15, 2017.
- Open enrollment periods have been extended for victims of some natural disasters.
Finding disaster assistance for seniors
In the wake of hurricanes and wildfires, many states across the country have been declared disaster areas. Older adults affected by these disasters may be eligible for special assistance with shelter, nutrition, and tax relief. Our BenefitsCheckUp® site now has a unique landing page for people seeking disaster relief resources.
Disaster Preparedness by Seniors for Seniors
This is an emergency preparedness guide developed by the American Red Cross and a group of older adults who experienced a two-week power outage when a massive ice storm hit the Greater Rochester, New York, area. This guide encourages older adults to prepare in advance, as emergencies and disasters can strike quickly and without warning. This is a tool to help older adults avoid getting caught unprepared, and is meant to be kept in a handy place for quick reference.
Click here to access the guide.
California Senior Patrol:
Medicare Fraud Alert
A new health benefit available to millions of Californians encourages people to discuss end-of-life care options with their doctors.